Enanga said no one forced Kyagulanyi to sleep in their vehicles but they found that there was a shortage of lodging facilities and that the available ones were not of their standard.
KAMPALA – Police have denied allegations that they blocked Presidential Candidate Robert Kyagulanyi from access to hotels in Migyera last night.
In a tweet last night, Kyagulanyi posted, “Our plan to spend the night in Hoima was frustrated as police blocked all roads. We drove to Migyera but police under DPC Patience Namara and OC Byaruhanga ordered all hotels not to host us. We had to spend the night on the roadside, sleeping in vehicles! In our own country!!!”
However, in a weekly press briefing at the Media Centre Friday (November 27, 2020), the police spokesperson Fred Enanga said, “It was trending on social media that he had been blocked from accessing hotels in Migyera and Nakasongola, which is not true.”
Enanga explained, “Yesterday Hon. Kyagulanyi managed to leave Hoima and passed Migyera, en-route to Kyankwanzi. He arrived at Migyera at 8 pm with an entourage of 180 people. They all could not get accommodated.”
“The District Police Commander of Nakasongola blocked them and informed them that Nakasongola was not on his roadmap. But with the intervention of RPC Savanna, the situation was harmonised.”
He also noted, “They (Kyagulanyi’s team) tried to book hotels in Migyera and because they were many the rooms were not enough. The hotel in which Hon. Kyagulanyi wanted, they said the rooms were not to the standard they wanted.”
He added, “Some of their colleagues proceeded and slept in Luweero. But for him, his private bodyguard and other members opted to sleep in their vehicles. No one forced them to sleep in their vehicles but they found that there was a shortage of lodging facilities and that the available ones were not of their standard.”
For more information please tune in to our news bulletin